SKIN FEEL / EMOLLIENCY
- Silicones improve Sensory properties
- Deliver greater emolliency both during and after application
- Impart Smoothness, velvety, non greasy or non oily ness feel to cosmetics and toiletery formulation improving negative feel associated with other ingredients
- Used for transient effects giving slight lubricity, light texture, fast spreading and good distribution of product on application leaving no residual effects
- Included in Formulation to remove the greasy or oily feel of of hydrocarbon emollients and are the basis of “oil-free” type claims
- Used for light products such as facial cleansers, day creams or liquid formulation
- Higher Molecular weight used to give more lubricious longer lasting effect, richer more nourishing skin treatment products such as night creams or after sun products
- Silicone elastomers are used to give dry, powdery feel to skin care formulations
- Silicone are also noncomedogenic and nonacnegenic. ( not expected to encourage undesired pore clogging or ache)
SUBSTANTIVITY ( Long lasting / Durability)
From water resistant film on the skin which can help prolong effects of Skin care, sun care or decorative Products.
- Basis for long lasting / non transfer decorative products especially lipsticks
- Ability to form non – occlusive films
PERMEABILITY / Controlled Moisturization/ Protection against Dehydration
Enhance efficacy of other ingredients in formulations such as enhance the SPF of production in suncare creams in anti - aging formulations has been shown to provide wrinkle masking benefits in addition to their unique skin feel.
Because of hydrophobicity silicones are used in protective hand creams to provide water resistant barrier against waterborne contaminants.